Rillettes is an appetizer made from seasoned diced pork or goose meat that is pounded to make it a spread. It originated in France. It is typically eaten on crackers, crostini, and Melba toast.
This recipe is spicy salmon rillettes. It is a great choice for an easy appetizer for any party.
2 cups of dry wine
1 shallot, chopped finely
1 lb. skinless salmon, chopped into small pieces
8 oz. smoked salmon, chopped
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 tablespoons chives
3 tablespoons Saucy Jalapeno Tomatillo Hot Sauce
7 whole peppercorns
1/3 cup crème fraiche
Melba toast, for serving
- In a saucepan, combine wine, peppercorns, and shallots. Let it simmer for 6 minutes.
- Add the skinless salmon and let it simmer for 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, immediately transfer the salmon into a towel-line plate.
- Strain the liquid and reserve the shallots.
- Place the shallots and salmon in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, crème fraiche and Saucy jalapeno tomatillo hot sauce.
- Gently fold in poached salmon, shallots, smoke salmon and chives.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve with Melba toast or crackers.