Thanksgiving is a time spent for family, friends, and feasting. And one of the best parts of feasting is leftovers—that delicious feast that you're able to enjoy for days after eating dinner.
Turkey tacos are a great solution! They're easy to make and even easier to eat, so you can get back on track with your healthy eating plan in no time.
Tortillas, preferably corn
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 Tablespoon virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon cilantro, minced
1 Cup onion, minced
1 Teaspoon brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
Saucy Jalapeno Tomatillo Hot Sauce
- Shred the leftover turkey and place it in a bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix lemon juice, olive oil, cilantro, and garlic.
- Mix the shredded turkey and the mixture in a bowl.
- Add a dash of salt.
- Heat the pan and add the olive oil.
- Add the onions and stir for about half a minute.
- Add the turkey. Heat over on low heat and stir occasionally for about 30 minutes.
- The turkey meat should become soft and tender after 30 minutes. Add brown sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide your turkey carnitas between each tortilla, then add a few slices of white onion and a generous amount of chopped cilantro. If you like, you can top it all off with some crumbled cotija cheese and a squeeze of fresh lime juice if you like! To make things extra delicious, add a generous amount of Saucy Jalapeno Tomatillo Hot Sauce.
If you do not have any turkey leftovers or do not particularly enjoy turkey, leftover (or fresh) chicken or rotisserie chicken can be substituted for the turkey.